This Grain Free cake has been voted to be one Liesel’s most popular recent creations. “It’s a fantastic taste-combination of spinach, banana and cinnamon!”
- 2 Bananas (ripe is better)
- 80g Spinach (frozen packet or fresh)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp Vinegar (apple cider or other1tbsp Honey for a sweeter tasting cake
- 50g Butter (Ghee or coconut oil if you are completely dairy free)
- 1 tbsp of Honey
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) shredded coconut – grinded together with 3 dried pitted apricots
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) almond flour/ almond meal
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp cardamom
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
Preheat oven to 160 C (F). Liesel recommends using a form tin (14 cm – 5.5 inch wide) which is perfect for 4 to 6 pieces of cake. If your form is much bigger, you might want to adjust the amounts – or accept that the cake will be much flatter or bake as Muffins and for both adjust the time in the oven accordingly (may need to reduce baking time).
In a big bowl
- 2 bananas, mash them
- add about spinach and mix / puree. Using a hand mixer makes this very easy. “ Cool colour – not what you’d normally associate with cake…”
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp of honey- “The cake turned out to be a bit too sweet so I will skip this next time! – although this also depends on how ripe your bananas are”
and mix (electrical whisk)
- Melt 50 g butter and add to the above
Mix ALL Dry Ingredients in a bowl:
Mix with a spoon, then add the dry to the wet and mix or stir until all blended.
Fill your form (or your muffin forms) and pop into the oven. Lower part – for 45 to 50 minutes.
Less if you have a large form tin and Muffins in the middle part on 180 C for 20 minutes
“The cake has really, really a lot of taste going on. I found it lovely combined with a spoon of simple whipped cream – no added vanilla (or sugar). We’ll definitely make this again!”
Enjoy for Breakfast, Morning Tea or Dessert!
Recipe & Photography by Liesel Fuchs